Monday, August 13, 2018

An Expert's Guide to Interview Questions


One of the most stressful parts of an interview can be the question segment. No, not when your potential employer is grilling you on your past, but when you must ask the questions. One bad question can ruin an otherwise perfect interview, while asking the right questions can help you stand out long after the interview ends. Here’s a list from Business Insider of the best and worst questions to ask during an interview:



Best:
·        “How would you describe the company’s culture?”
·        “Who do you consider your major competitors? How are your better?”
·         “Can you tell me what steps need to be completed before your company can generate an offer?”
·        “How would you describe the company’s values around work-life balance?”
·        “If you were to hire me, what might I expect in a typical day?”
·        “How has this position evolved?”
·        “Do you have any hesitations about my qualifications?”
·        “If hired, what are the three most important things you’d like me to accomplish in the first six to twelve months at the company?”
·        “What type of employee tends to succeed here? What qualities are the most important for doing well and advancing at the firm?”
·        “How do you evaluate success here?”
·        “What have past employees done to succeed in this position?”
·        “Who would I be reporting to?”
·        “Can you give me an example of how I would collaborate with my manager?”
·        “When your staff comes to you with conflicts, how do you respond?”
·        “What was your career plan before you got into this role, and how has that changed since you’ve been here?”
·        “Where do you see yourself in five years?”
·        “What’s one of the most interesting projects or opportunities that you’ve worked on?”
·        “Is there anything else I can provide to help you make your decision?”
·        “Beyond the hard skills required to successfully perform this job, what soft skills would serve the company and position best?”
·        “How would you score the company on living up to its core values? What’s the one thing you’re working to improve on?”
·        “I read this story about your company. Can you tell me more about this?”
·        “What is your staff turnover rate and what are you doing to reduce it?”
·        “Can you tell me where the company is going?”
·        “What makes people stay at this company?”
·        “Is there anyone else you would like me to meet with?”
·        “Will I have an opportunity to meet those who would be part of my staff/ my manager during the interview process?”
·        “Have I answered all your questions?”
·        “What’s your timeline for making a decision, and when can I expect to hear back from you?”

Worst:
·        “What does your company do?”
·        “What will me salary be?”
·        “What are the hours?” or “Will I have to work long hours?”
·        “Will I have my own office?”
·        “Can I make personal calls during the day?”
·        “Do you monitor emails or internet usage?”
·        “How soon can I take a vacation?”
·        “Will I have an expense account?”
·        “When will I be eligible for a raise?”
·        “Can I arrive early or leave late as long as I get my work done?”
·        “What are grounds for termination?”
·        “How quickly could I be considered for a promotion?”
·        “Who should I avoid in the office?”
·        “What happens if I don’t get along with my boss or coworkers?”
·        “Are you married?” or “Do you have kids?”
·        “Do you check social media accounts?” or “Do you do background checks?”
·        “I heard this wild rumor about the CEO. Is it true?”
·        “How did I do?” or “Did I get the job?”
·        “How long are you going to take to get back to me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment